The one recent change he had made was to change the shield rigs for another missile damage rig. General fitting wisdom decried dual tanks but on occasions it was a useful addition to the ship's defence. Starwalker had reached the point where he made up his own mind about a fit, he felt he had earned his stripes going through the levels of understanding:
- Copied a fit, not really understanding why that particular combination of modules were used, their strengths and weaknesses
- Fitted a ship with a general understanding of the ships and modules and fitting rules but not exploiting the ships strengths and/or mitigating weaknesses. Using general fitting rules such as
- Fit modules to fight at a certain range (close, scram or point)
- Fit weapons of all one type/range
- Fit MWD and warp disruptor or afterburner and scrambler
- Fit either an armour or shield tank
- Use zero or one fitting module such as an Auxiliary Power Control or CPU Upgrade to enable a particular combat fit
Whilst Starwalker had no reason to believe that this was a three versus one situation he assumed that it was and decided to kill the ships in an order of "kill-ability". It was a term he had heard when Kil2 and Kovorix had discussed the order of target selection:
- Slasher - as an attack frigate it would likely have the weakest tank and the Incursus would have the strongest tank
- Rifter - it would be next purely because the Incursus would be last
- Incursus - it was the most dangerous ship because it had a combination of good damage and a strong tank
Starwalker pulled range and the Incursus damage dropped dramatically, the armour repairer had saved the Breacher. The Incursus was toast.
It had been very satisfying and Starwalker was please with the fight and fighting three at the same time had been a really good experience. Sometimes the kill-board time on fights seemed like they were more than one versus one but targets simply arrived in quick succession. One example, this Executioner came into the complex where Starwalker was waiting and it was nearly dead as this Slasher arrived and it died as well.