23 December 2013

Expensive Day Bad Day

Starwalker did not fit his frigates with faction or officer modules as he died too frequently for that to be a good idea, however, he had a day of madness and decided to fit the bling. It was an expensive day in terms of cost of modules and even more expensive in terms of losses.


The day started badly with a brand new Astero on its maiden voyage. The Wolf at the gate had followed the Astero for a couple of jumps and Starwalker was wary engaging it because of the sheer firepower that the Wolf had. However, in a moment of madness he decided to try and see whether two Corpii A-Type Small Armour Repairers could tank the incoming damage.

The range closed to point blank and Starwalker set a 5km orbit to get out of the hottest part of the fire. The incoming fire was very hot and Starwalker set the first repairer going, it was not keeping up and he started the second one shortly afterwards. The Astero armour was nearly gone and he put the overheat on both repairers but the march through structure was unstoppable. The near 200m ISK Astero exploded.


Since Starwalker was ship-less and close to Adirain he decided to move his battleship to Covryn for no good reason apart from the fact that he wanted to. The speed of the battleship was incredibly slow and he wondered whether he should just sell it or lose it soon. He noticed he was being followed by Stay Frosty and decided that their Vagabond and Stabber Fleet Issue would be incredibly hard to hit in a battleship.

They started to scramble the Megathron on the gates but missed the first few times but eventually they got the scramble. Starwalker had the decision of whether to engage or to simply burn back to gate... he made the fatal decision to engage and as he suspected the cruisers were hard to hit and easily repaired the incoming damage. The march through structure was again unstoppable and another 200m ISK ship was destroyed.


Starwalker's Vengeance was also sporting two Corpii A-Type Small Armour Repairers but when it engaged a Merlin the fight soon became a three versus one. The two Merlins and Tristan easily overcame the tank of the Vengeance and shortly afterwards it became a 130m ISK wreck.

It had been an expensive day - a bad day. In particular, the loss of the two frigates reinforced
  • A dual repair tank was good against a single target but could be easily overwhelmed against multiple targets (Vengeance)
  • A good dual repair tank could still be overwhelmed by sheer firepower (Astero)
Starwalker also found it difficult to judge when to start the armour tank repair and when to overheat it, he suspected that he may have started it too late on each occasion.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch!

    I'm no expert, but I start my armor repairer while I still have some shield left. And I always have it overheated. I think they can usually take the heat pretty well (I can't remember burning out a repairer - but then I usually die so quickly that they don't have a chance...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always overheat AAR's. Overheating them gives you a 10% boost amount, and that combined with the boosted amount from the nanite paste is a huge deal. It's also extremely difficult (dare I say impossible?) to burn out an AAR while it's using nanite paste, so overheating is always a good idea.

    Otherwise I agree with Jack Dancer. Depending on the ship I'm in and the ship I'm fighting I'll start the repairer when I have a little bit of shields left. If my ship doesn't have much armor buffer I'll start it earlier (Tristan, for example), and if it does then I sometimes wait until I'm already in armor (Enyo). If I'm fighting a low-volley ship (LML Condor or something like that) I'll start it later vs. a high volley ship (Arty Thrasher) I'll try to anticipate the incoming damage and start it earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im yet to move to AAR's from The Small Armour Repper. But i Generally online mine right after ive sorted out my agressive mods. otherwise i run the risk of forgetting too untill its too late :)

    ReplyDelete